Professional Tips to Curate Perfect Ear Stack

When it comes to accessories, well, sometimes more is more! From rings to necklaces, stacking and layering have become the new style treatment. But careful curation is not important in any other area, like the ear stack. But, even for most fashion-savvy ones, matching, balancing, and curating perfectly stunning layered ear stack per ear, can be a tricky task. Here are a few inputs from reputed jewelry designers.


According to Emily Ko from Sit & Wonder, the shape of one’s ear and available space on the part determine the placements of ear piercings. For those having larger ear lobes, Emily suggests constellation-type piercings, which work really well filling up more space. For smaller lobes, spreading the piercings up the ear is best to leave your lobes less crowded.

The 40/60 Rule

But when in doubt about how to balance, there is a simple guideline, which Emily describes as the 40/60 rule. She likes to style around 40% of piercings with bolder or statement earrings, while the remaining 60% will be filled with understated and dainty pieces. Neat, balanced, and handy!

Mix n Match Styling

As per Chi Mai, the founder of S-kin Studio, mixing up textures and styles is the key to making your ear stack stand out. The rule of thumb here is to go with different textures and styles while layering, to make the jewelry shine, giving the allover stack a bit more oomph. Chi advises styling a pave hoop side by side with a plain hoop, a minimal hoop next to a chained stud, or adding a huggie to a dangly stud.

The Cascading Rule

Here also, the Cascading rule comes as a rescue in times of difficulty. As Chi explains, it’s the styling trick of curating earpieces, where the larger dangly pieces come at the front like firsts, seconds, etc. While the smaller, studs or more huggie pieces stack higher up the ear to the parts of thirds, conch, helix, etc. This balanced height of pieces gives an effortlessly elongated effect to your ear stack.